We've teamed up with the Employee Ownership Association (EOA) to champion the expansion of employee and worker ownership in the UK.
Together, we're advocating a five-fold expansion in employee and worker ownership over the next decade, leading to one million employee and worker owners in the UK by 2030. It's ambitious, but crucial if we're to improve job creation and retention; if we want to increase increase productivity; if we want more inclusive businesses; if we want more sustainable development and good work.
What do we want government to do?
- Help create and retain 1 million good jobs as part of COVID-19 response and over the next decade, by supporting more businesses to voluntarily adopt employee and worker ownership
- Help secure the future of potentially viable businesses and jobs
- Help more people build great new livelihoods through entrepreneurship
How can government achieve this?
We propose allocating £10 million in 2022-23 to support up to 20 Combined Authorities or Local Enterprise Partnerships to participate in our Ownership Hub programme. The Ownership Hub is a new multi-million pound programme that works in local business support ecosystems to:
- increase awareness and understanding of employee and worker ownership among entrepreneurs, workers, business owners and those who advise them
- provide expert advice and support to aid the voluntary adoption of employee and worker ownership at start-up, during early development and via conversion