The Co-operative Governance Expert Reference Panel is an independent and authoritative voice in the co-op sector for best practice in governance.
What is the Panel?
It is led and facilitated by Co‑operatives UK and made up of experts with proven experience in governance leadership and/or innovation covering businesses of different size, complexity and risk profile. The panel:
- Ensures a dialogue between UK leaders in the field of governance by bringing experts together to identify and recommend innovation and best practice.
- Provides leadership to the co-operative sector by setting governance standards for co-operatives, encouraging innovation, active challenge and debate.
- Sets a framework that enables the co-operative sector to take ownership of its compliance with governance standards.
The Co-operative Governance Expert Reference Panel is:
David Alcock, Anthony Collins Solicitors (Chair)
Silena Dominy, Southern Co-operative
Emma Laycock, Co-operatives UK
Graeme Nuttall, Fieldfisher
Caroline Domanski, No1 CopperPot Credit Union
Blase Lambert, Confederation of Co-operative Housing
Aaron Stewart, VME Coop
Jonathan Carey, East of England Co-operative
Tiziana O'Hara, Co-operative Alternatives
How does the Panel benefit my co-op?
The Panel is an independent and authoritative voice on governance for the co-op sector and responds to input from the co-op sector. It has created a number of resources and guides on good governance including:
- The ‘Elements of Governance' Wheel: Depicting the areas of governance that should be in place within a thriving co-operative business
- Directors Toolkit: A comprehensive series of resources for inducting directors onto a co-operative board
- Make up of the board: A short film and guidance notes to help co-ops consider the different routes when recruiting directors to a board
- Board behaviours in co-operatives: A practical guide to help co-ops understand boardroom behaviours including top tips for working with your board to improve its dynamic
- A statement on the Role of the Board: A clear, authoritative and concise statement about the Board’s role in a co-operative
- Guidance on the use of sociocracy in co-operative organisations
- Election canvassing: We've prepared guidance relevant to all co-operatives to ensure elections are fair for all candidates and the members of a co-operative
- Risk management: Effective risk management provides an early warning system for organisations in an uncertain environment