The Co-operative Governance Expert Reference Panel is an independent and authoritative voice in the co-op sector for best practice in governance.
What is the Panel?
It is led and facilitated by Co‑operatives UK and made up of experts with proven experience in governance leadership and/or innovation covering businesses of different size, complexity and risk profile. The panel:
- Ensures a dialogue between UK leaders in the field of governance by bringing experts together to identify and recommend innovation and best practice.
- Provides leadership to the co-operative sector by setting governance standards for co-operatives, encouraging innovation, active challenge and debate.
- Sets a framework that enables the co-operative sector to take ownership of its compliance with governance standards.
The Co-operative Governance Expert Reference Panel is:
- Angela Lomax, (Chair) David Tolson Partnership
- Jim Watts, Central England Co-operative
- Jane Powell, Lincolnshire Co-operative
- Emma Laycock, Co-operatives UK
- Mark Simmonds, Co-op Culture
- David Alcock, Anthony Collins Solicitors
- Graeme Nuttall, Fieldfisher
- Bob Cannell
- Abbie Kempson, Unicorn Grocery – Panel Adviser
How will the Panel benefit my co-op?
The Panel is an independent and authoritative voice on governance for the co-op sector and responds to input from the co-op sector. It has created a number of resources and guides on good governance including:
- The ‘Elements of Governance' Wheel: Depicting the areas of governance that should be in place within a thriving co-operative business.
- Directors Toolkit: A comprehensive series of resources for inducting directors onto a co-operative board.
- Make up of the board: A short film and guidance notes to help co-ops consider the different routes when recruiting directors to a board.
- Board behaviours in co-operatives: A practical guide to help co-ops understand boardroom behaviours including top tips for working with your board to improve its dynamic.
- A statement on the Role of the Board: A clear, authoritative and concise statement about the Board’s role in a co-operative.