This practical guide, complete with an extensive range of appendices, is a great tool to help implement good governance. It's applicable to all co-ops, regardless of size or sector.
What is the code?
The code offers a set of principles that all co-ops can reflect upon and use to encourage and enable good governance practice – operating on a comply or explain basis.
Alongside the code we have a range of appendices, covering roles and responsibilities for various key roles including a co-op secretary, co-op directors and co-op chairs; terms of reference for a range of committees; codes of conduct for directors; model induction checklists; and whistle-blowing.
Six distinct areas
The code covers six distinct areas, with co-op principles around each and clear provisions to be applied:
- Member voice, participation and engagement
- Co-operative leadership and purpose
- Roles and responsibilities
- Board composition, succession and evaluation
- Risk, financial management and internal controls
- Remuneration of the board and executive leadership
Good governance needs a toolkit and not one single tool. Extensive guidance accompanies this code; designed to enable co-ops to adopt policies and processes to assist them to develop their governance practices.