#DigiDen is a ‘dragon’s den’-style competition for tech co-ops offering specialist business support and £2,000 in start-up funding to the winning entry.
It is the first competition of its kind and was run in partnership between The Hive, the business support programme for co-ops from Co-operatives UK and The Co-operative Bank, and The Open Co-op.
It was open to any new start or existing platform co-ops to enter. A shortlist of entries was invited to pitch to a panel and audience at a #DigiDen back in February, as part of OPEN:2017, a conference dedicated to platform co-ops which took place in London. The winner was selected by the audience with Fairmondo UK seeing off great pitches from Rhino Charging and Real Media Coop Limited.
Read about Fairmondo UK – winners of #DigiDen 2017.
If you're interested in future opportunities on offer through The Hive, sign-up for email updates.
How to enter #DigiDen
Applications are now closed. Entrants will be notified whether or not they have been shortlisted on 1 February 2017.
Click to read #DigiDen terms and conditions
- The competition is open to UK residents only
- All competition entries must be submitted via the online application form
- Access to email is required since forms on paper cannot be accepted
- Only one entry is permitted per group, organisation or association.
- The competition is open for entries between 20 December 2016-29 January 2017.
- Any entries submitted after 23.59 on 29 January 2017 will not be considered.
- All entrants who are shortlisted must have a representative available to present their idea at the OPEN:2017 Platform Co-ops event on 17 February 2017 (The Hive will cover associated travel costs up to £150 per shortlisted group)
- All entrants must be willing to attend meetings to receive business development support if they win. Meetings will be arranged at a mutually convenient time with an adviser from The Hive.
- Entrants will be notified whether or not they have been shortlisted on 1 February 2017
- Due to the time sensitivity of this competition, if contact cannot be made with those shortlisted, within 7 working days of the initial notification an alternative entrant will be selected for the shortlist from all valid entries with no liability to the initial entrant selected.
- All entrants must be eligible according to our competition eligibility criteria
- Award winners will be subject to terms and conditions of grant. The £2,000 grant will be held and administered by Co-operatives UK. There are a number of items of expenditure which are not eligible under this grant, these are:
- Any administration costs that are not directly connected with starting up your platform co-operative.
- Reimbursing expenditure which has already been incurred.
- Capital items - generally this means that a purchase results in owning a lasting asset such as computers, photocopiers or digital projectors.
- Any other activity which is not directly associated with starting up your platform co-operative.
- In addition, the grant cannot fund general contingency for unknown costs or cost overruns.
- The winner will identify the adviser they wish to use for their Business Development Support, and Co-operatives UK will pay them directly.
- If no suitable entrants are found of a high enough standard to merit the award, the partnership is not obliged to make any award.
- Winners will be selected by the crowd at the Dragon’s Den event, after feedback and recommendations from a panel of at least 3 experts.
- Winners will be notified on the same day the decision is made.
- At least 10 ‘runners up’ teams will be invited to attend the conference for free, courtesy of The Open Co-op. Application details and data will be shared with The Open Co-op so that they can select these runners up.
These Terms and Conditions prevail in the event of any conflict or inconsistency with any other communications, including advertising or promotional materials. Entry/claim instructions are deemed to form part of the terms and conditions and by participating all claimants will be deemed to have accepted and be bound by the terms and conditions. Please retain a copy for your information.