Join Kate Fielding and Gary Morrison from Co‑operatives UK for this webinar on Wednesday 6 July from 11am-12pm.
About the webinar
UK discrimination law impacts all organisations, regardless of size or governance model. Organisations have to make sure that all employees – and prospective employees – are treated fairly and inclusively. In some circumstances, organisations must treat someone more favourably because of a certain characteristic of theirs.
The penalties for failing to adhere to UK discrimination law can be large. They range from creating poor internal relationships, to negative publicity and/or financial loss
It can happen due to ignorance rather than deliberately treating someone badly. But poor knowledge or understanding is not an excuse and it is not something an employment tribunal will accept.
- This webinar will take place online for 1 hour
- A presentation will be delivered followed by Q&A
How much does it cost?
- This webinar is FREE for members of Co-operatives UK.
- £10 + VAT for non-members. Co-operatives UK members receive 30% off all paid events – plus LOTS more benefits. Learn about Co-operatives UK membership.
What attendees will learn
- A basic understanding of discrimination law in the UK.
- An understanding of the 'protected characteristics', as defined in the Equality Act
- What obligations your co-op has to make reasonable adjustments.
- An understanding that getting it wrong can be damaging for individuals and your organisation.
- The knowledge to be able to spot common 'red flags' – know how to act in straightforward situations and when to seek further advice.
- An understanding of the help that Co-ops UK can give to HR Package members.
Who should attend?
Anyone who might need to ensure that all employees, and prospective employees are treated fairly and inclusively.
You don't need to be an HR professional to attend; if you're in a position to ensure your organisation does not discriminate, this session is for you!
About the trainers
Gary has a wealth of experience in the field of employment law, having previously worked as an ACAS officer and for the Employment Tribunals before qualifying as a solicitor at DWF solicitors. Gary has worked as a solicitor with the Co-operative Group and many independent co-operatives as part of the Co-operative Employers Association and is a very experienced Employment Tribunal advocate and his knowledge and experience extend to all aspects of employment law including complex areas such as TUPE and discrimination.
Kate is an experienced HR professional with almost 15 years' experience in HR policy, reward and employee relations in co-operatives. A chartered member of the CIPD specialising in all things policy, Kate is well placed to provide expert advice, guidance and support on all aspects of the employment journey.
Recording the webinar
This webinar will be recorded and shared with participants afterwards. It will also be hosted on the Co-operatives UK website, accessible to Co-operatives UK members only. If you are unable to attend on the stated date, you can still book on to receive the recording link.