Congratulations! You've registered your co-operative and are about to begin trading. Here are the first things a new co‑operative needs to know.
Top tips for new co-ops
- Open a bank account. Access free banking services from our partner The Co-operative Bank.
- Know your registrar. Information for companies can be found at Companies House. Information for societies can be found at the Financial Conduct Authority.
- Directors and other officers, including the Secretary, have particular responsibilities. Find out more about good governance and download our guides.
- Appoint an auditor or independent examiner if required in the governing document of your co‑operative. Know the requirements for your co‑operative company or society.
- Ensure that your corporate details are displayed correctly on any marketing materials or stationary
- Consider insurance for your co‑operative. Co-operative Insurance is an ethical and co-operative provider.
- If you haven't got a website or domain name yet, get a .coop domain name and download the coop marque
- Map out the coming year. Know your financial year end, when to hold your AGM and file your annual return and accounts and set reminders.
Support for new co-ops
- Join Co-operatives UK to be part of a network of co-operatives, access exclusive member content and specialist support.
- Find tips and tools from marketing your co-operative to growing your membership in the support for your co-op area of our website
- Sign up for our email newsletters to receive news, details of events and training and regular advice round ups on topical issues
- Meet other co-ops and community businesses at our free Co-op Connections networking events.
- See if you are eligible and apply for support from one of our co-op support programmes.
Filing the annual return and accounts is an important event in the governance year of any business. Here are some practical tips to help co-operatives registered under the Co-operative and Community…
Our contact package provides access to the best support from leading advisers on co-op governance, finance, HR and membership.
We help co-operatives become the best they can be. Find out how to become a member.
As the network for the UK's thousands of co-operative businesses, we provide support in HR, culture, governance, finance, marketing, membership strategy and co-operative development. Browse our…
Good governance is crucial to the effective operation of co-operatives regardless of size, legal form or business sector.
From flagship conferences to informal networking to full day training courses, Co‑operatives UK unites co‑ops to connect and learn. Our members can get free or heavily discounted access to all of our…