Published9th July 2020
Last updated9th November 2020
Our submission to government makes seven recommendations:
- Make a one-off £20 million grant to help capitalise a new Community Shares Institutional Investor
- Provide £5 million over five years to support more communities to use Community Shares effectively
- Fund initiatives that nurture and mobilise social capital in high deprivation communities
- Fund bespoke peer coaching and mentoring initiatives in high deprivation communities
- Fund programmes to develop the efficacy of existing community organisations
- Help fund the expansion of the ‘platform co-op accelerator’ to towns and cities across the UK
- Include a significant role for community-led economic development in new post-Brexit schemes for ‘levelling up’
Community co-operation in the Covid-19 recovery
Co-ops are pivotal to helping our communities and country build back better from Covid-19. In this short paper we make four co-op ‘offers’ to everyone working for a more sustainable and just future.
Our short paper sets out why city regions should support the creation of employee and worker owned businesses, via both start-up and conversions, in their Covid-19 recovery strategies.
Government delivers more than £700m funding to local authorities in England for businesses most impacted by Omicron and Co-operatives UK is urging co-operatives to apply.