Directory of Co-operatives
Foleshill Enterprise Park
In 1832 nine men, believed to be ribbon weavers, launched a great democratic experiment. They formed the Lockhurst Lane Industrial Co-operative Society in the Parish of Foleshill, Coventry. The idea was to provide working families with decent quality food, clothes and other goods at affordable prices. Lockhurst Lane Society was the first Co-operative to be successfully set up in this region and indeed was amongst the very first Co-operative Societies in the country. It merged with the Coventry Society in 1968 and later became part of the Coventry & East Mercia Co-operative Society. On January 1st 2000 the Society changed its name to the Heart of England Co-operative Society more accurately reflecting the area in which the Society now trades.