Directory of Co-operatives
The Aldershot and District Allotment Association was formally registered on 1st March 1917. The Cultivation of Land Order 1916 had given powers to local authorities to take over any uncultivated land for use as allotments to grow food for the war effort. However, the land was to be returned to its owners at the end of the war.
The Association was formed to improve the security of tenure of land with the Association approaching the land owner to lease the land directly and therefore not having to lose it after the war. At one time, some 16 acres of land were owned or leased.
The Association currently owns 6 acres of land at one allotment site. The site is privately owned (by the members) and is managed by a team of volunteers.