The Community Shares Company
Dave has more than 20 years' experience of working with community and social businesses, helping raise over £17m from over 65 community shares issues in the last 8 years.
He has worked with all types of community business, from local pubs and shops to sports clubs, piers to pools, magazines and TV stations, train companies to comedy venues, from start-ups to conversions, including:
- Vintage Trains to raise the £1M+ capital they needed to run heritage steam trains on the mainline
- Portpatrick Harbour to become the first Scottish Charity to raise share capital to buy their harbour for £100,000
- New Internationalist to raise over £1M to give their worker co-op magazine a new lease of life
- Jubilee Pool in Penzance to become connected the geothermal energy in their 1930s outdoor lido thanks to a £530,000 share issue
- Music Venue Properties’ ambitious plans to create a ’national trust’ for grassroots music venues
- New Lion Brewery’s conversion into from private business to a community ownership and raising £220,000 in the process
- Signalise worker co-op raising over £300,000 for their platform to link deaf people with interpreters and for those interpreters to be paid a fair amount
- Leeds Action to Create Homes to raise £550,000 for their innovative to provide homes and jobs for homeless people through renovating derelict properties
- The Puzzle Hall Pub in Sowerby Bridge to rebuild and re-open a beloved music and poetry venue with a £250,000 share issue
- Govanhill Baths in Glasgow to raise over £250,000 to go towards the renovation of their Victorian bathhouse after years of community campaigning
He specialises in communicating complicated information in accessible ways (he wrote the script for the Community Shares Unit's video explaining community shares), campaign planning and all matters to do with tax relief for investment.
Dave is Licensed by the Community Shares Unit to award the Community Shares Standard Mark.