Published31st March 2021
Our key positions
- Community Shares are a proven way to deliver outcomes in line with government’s priorities for the Community Ownership Fund: financial sustainability, resilience, levelling-up and local participation.
- Communities engaging with the Community Ownership Fund should be encouraged explore Community Shares as a matter of course. And the Community Ownership Fund should operate in a way that supports use the model where appropriate.
- While Community Shares is not appropriate for every asset and may not be a feasible option in every community, we have great confidence that Community Shares could be an appropriate part of the funding mix for a significant proportion of Community Ownership Fund applicants.
- The Community Ownership Fund should offer both match grants and match equity investments using Community Shares as the instrument.
- To facilitate match equity investments, and to create a lasting legacy with significant public value, a portion of the Community Ownership Fund could be used to help capitalise a dedicated institutional investor in the Community Shares market, as a successor to our existing Community Shares Booster programme.
- The feasibility study and capacity building strands of the Community Ownership Fund need to include information, advice and support relating to Community Shares.
- The objectives of the Community Ownership Fund would be well-served by supporting the further development of Community Shares Standards.
Content by Community Shares
This paper focuses on why and how the Community Ownership Fund can utilise the Community Shares financing model.
Understanding a maturing community shares market is the most comprehensive report ever published on the community shares sector – funded by Power to Change and Community Shares Scotland.