Join Andrew Woodcock from Co-op Culture and Acorn Co-op Support for this online training from 29-30 September, 9.30am-1.30pm (both days).
About the training
This advanced-level workshop is a must-attend for board directors, management committee members and members involved in overseeing their co-op.
It aims to demystify accountancy and help delegates interpret their co-op's management accounts and use that financial information to make informed business decisions.
Please note: This course is suitable for all legal forms. It is not an accountancy course based on what the law says; it's about understanding what accounts mean and how to understand them.
- This training will be hosted online for 4 hours on both 29 and 30 September. Attendees will need to attend both days.
- A mix of presentation, Q&A and breakout sessions.
- Refreshment breaks will be incorporated.
How much does it cost?
- £90 + VAT for members of Co-operatives UK
- £130 + VAT for non-members. Co-operatives UK members receive 30% off all paid events – plus LOTS more benefits. Learn about Co-operatives UK membership.
What you will learn
- Concepts of accounting.
- Importance of management accounts for making financial decisions.
- How to interpret management accounts.
- How to forecast cashflow and interpret cashflow statements.
- How to create an income statement, profit and loss sheet, and balance sheet.
- Financial performance indicators and what can we learn from them.
- Gearing ratios and what we can learn from them.
- How share capital relates to this accounting framework.
Who should attend
The course for anyone running co-operative organisations who need to understand and make decisions based on financial accounts. For example:
- Members of a board of directors
- Members of a management committee
- Members involved in overseeing the business
About the trainer
Andrew Woodcock is from Co-op Culture and Acorn Co-op Support. Andy is an experienced trainer with excellent communication skills. They have great knowledge of participatory techniques and has lived and worked in co-ops for the last 20 years.
Andy co-manages a £750,000 co-op loan fund, as well as a co-operative investment fund of almost £1million. They have helped various co-ops raise over £5m of capital as well as being treasurer to many co-ops. Andy also prepares co-ops accounts.
Andy co-produced the Introduction to Financial Literacy workshop which has now trained over 500 people in better understanding their co-op's accounts.