An opportunity for people in Scotland to discover how platform co‑ops can put power and profits in the hands of service providers, rather than tech giants.
One of a series of webinars brought to you by The Hive, a programme of support for new and existing co‑ops delivered by Co‑operatives UK in partnership with The Co‑operative Bank.
This webinar is also being delivered in partnership with Co‑operative Development Scotland, part of Scottish Enterprise.
About the webinar
Job insecurity and precarious working have proliferated with the rise of digital platforms like Uber and Deliveroo. Meanwhile, the tech giants behind digital platforms dominate markets and make huge profits.
But there’s a fairer alternative: platform co-ops. Join Co-operatives UK’s Ludovica Rogers to discover how platform co-ops can empower those on the frontline of services – putting them in control of the business, providing better working conditions and fairer pay. Ludovica will be joined by guest speakers from platform co-ops:
Signalise – a sign language interpreting service that uses a digital platform to connect its members: Deaf people, BSL interpreters and service user organisations
Open Food Network UK – a co‑op of co‑ops whose members collectively own and control an innovative software platform they use to trade the food they produce
Platform co‑ops are democratically owned and controlled businesses that use an online platform or mobile app to trade, connect people and pool resources or data. They are built on co‑operative principles and values that ensure the business:
- Truly responds to the needs of its community
- Embeds equity and social purpose from day one
- Has a growth model that does not involve giving up control to external profit‑driven investors
- An online one-hour webinar on Zoom
- Presentations from several speakers with an opportunity to ask questions at the end
How much does it cost?
This webinar is FREE to everyone who wants to attend.
What attendees will learn:
- An overview of platform co-ops
- What a platform co‑op is and isn’t
- About setting up and running a platform co-op, from platform pioneers
- What support is available for those wishing to set up a co-op, including The Hive business support programme, the next UnFound Accelerator programme and the specialist support available from Co-operative Development Scotland
Who should attend?
Anyone in Scotland and beyond who is keen to learn more about platform co‑ops, this includes:
- Individuals and groups looking to set up a digital platform enterprise
- Anyone wanting to learn more about co-ops: business advisors, local authorities, community leaders, voluntary sector support agencies, etc.
About the host
Ludovica Rogers is the Programme Manager, New Co‑op Ventures for Co‑operatives UK. As part of Co‑operatives UK’s Development Team, she runs the Unfound programme that supports and promotes platform co‑operatives in the UK. She is a designer and has worked as an architect, process designer, researcher and campaigner. Her interests lie in the overlapping spaces between the commons, tech and finance.
Recording the webinar
This webinar will be recorded. We will share the recording with participants shortly afterwards. This webinar is part of a series. If you cannot attend this one, we hope you can join us for another webinar. Alternatively, visit our step by step: start a co-op tool or read about business support available to start-up co-ops.