Co-operatives for an environmentally just future
This event from ICA International Cooperative Entrepreneurship Think Tank (ICETT) marks World Environment Day and acknowledges the role cooperatives play in the face of the pandemic.
The discussion will highlight the thematic findings of the recently published World Cooperative Monitor. Participants will discuss practices and policies put in place by large cooperatives to protect the environment.
What will be discussed?
The discussion will be themed on “Cooperatives for an Environmentally Just Future” with the aim to identify and elaborate on the practices and policies of large cooperatives in protecting the environment, during the course of enterprise. In other words, to understand the ‘cooperative difference’ made by cooperatives in the communities and countries they operate in, and how they translate the 7th Cooperative Principle on the Concern for the Community into actions.
Acknowledging the overwhelming global impact of the pandemic and the role cooperatives play, the discussion will highlight the thematic findings of the recently published World Cooperative Monitor. This year, the World Environment Day is themed on Ecosystem Restoration, meaning preventing, halting and reversing the ongoing environmental damage. This webinar is being organised a month ahead of the International Day of Cooperatives, 3 July 2021 which is themed on “Cooperatives for a People Centered and Environmentally Just Recovery” #RebuildBetterTogether.
Speakers of the event
- Pete Westall, Chief Values Officer at The Midcounties Co-operative (U.K.), will moderate the discussions
- Representatives from Young People’s Multi-Purpose Cooperative Society (YPMCS), Zimbabwe on founding a cooperative to promote renewable energy and winning the ICA Global Youth Replication Project; Video on Go Green Campaign being implemented by ICA Global Youth Network
- Gianluca Salvatori, Secretary General, EURICSE, will speak about the World Cooperative Monitor
- Betina Azugnam, CSR Manager at Sancor Seguros will speak about the group’s environment strategy and sustainability reporting
- Representative from Rabobank will speak about their environment protection programmes and impact measurement
- Representative from Japan Cooperative Alliance will share best practices of environment protection and the historic role of cooperatives in this regard in Japan.
- Michael Fletcher, Retail Chief Commercial Officer The Co-operative Group (UK) will speak about the Group’s sustainability strategy.
- Representative from National Co-operative Grocers, USA on the environmentally friendly practices and policies developed, implemented and exchanged by cooperatives
Organised in collaboration with Euricse.