The Worker Co-op Weekend, hosted by Co-operatives UK is aimed at worker co-operatives to help them learn, share and be inspired by one another.
The programme is made up of practical sessions designed and run by worker co-ops and covers a range of topics. In 2018 the event will take place at: Foundry Adventure Centre, Derbyshire.
The programme is being actively co-created by members here with a draft below.
Key elements to the Worker Co-op Weekend:
- Designed and run by worker co-ops for worker co-ops
- Food sourced from co-operatives like Essential and Suma, with bread from Infinity, beer from Bartlebys Brewery and veg from Unicorn Grocery
- Vegan friendly catering
- Camping and campfires
This is a low cost back-to-basics event, so bring your tent or book early to get one of the limited dormitory or private rooms available.
- Members - £55+VAT
- Non members - £79 + VAT
- Members - £70+VAT
- Non members - £100 + VAT
- Day ticket
- Members - £25+VAT
- Non members - £36 + VAT
15.00 onwards - Arrive whenever you can, with the first sessions optional.
Whistle stop tour of the co-op movement:
What other co-ops are out there? Where did they all come from? What is Solid Fund? Where can we get support? Have basic questions about co-ops that you want answering and a general introduction to what the hell is going on over the weekend. Come to this session. John Atherton
Building a mutual aid network of experienced worker co-operators:
Want to help new co-ops to start, mentor or pass on your knowledge, but don’t know where to start? Mark will give an update on the barefoot adviser project and share practical tips from the trenches of co-op development. Mark Simmonds
19.30-20.30 Evening meal
20.30-21.30 Principle Six: Turning good contacts into good contracts - an icebreaker and opportunity to help each others co-operative businesses flourish
10.00-11.00 Welcome and warm-up
A series of workshops and open space sessions including:
- Sociocracy, what is it and how does it work?
- HR best practice share:How to your do peer performance reviews?
- Strong Co-operative Culture: What is it? Why do we need it? How do we get it? How do we deepen it?
- How do you Govern your worker co-op? HR best practice share:How to your do peer performance reviews?
- Principle 6: Building an online platform for co-operative development.
- Co-tech, 2 Years on: What's working well, What isn’t working so well What are your future plans
- Politics and Co-operation
- Worker co-ops and the public sector
Letter from America: What's going on in the US worker co-op movement?
10.00-13.00 Enough talk, what are you going to do to grow the worker co-op network?
Where is the worker co-op movement going strategy session. Practical breakout groups to look at specific initiatives such as the Worker Co-op Solidarity Fund to support the development of worker co-ops.
13.00 Lunch and close