Today hundreds of communities across the country have used community shares to save and create businesses that are important to them.
Community shares: a unique form of investment
- Since 2012, over £155m has been raised by over 104,203 people in community shares across the UK.
- Community shares have been invested into over 450 co-operative and community business including shops, pubs, renewable energy schemes, housing projects, community hubs and much more.
- Community shares is a user-friendly name for withdrawable, non-transferable share capital, which is unique to co-operative and community benefit societies.
- Community shares are a flexible and effective way to raise finance: an incredible 92% of all businesses who have used community shares are still trading.
Community Shares Unit
Co-operatives UK is at the heart of the Community Shares Unit, a longstanding partnership with Locality and other key partners.
- We promote best practice standards, published in the Community Shares Handbook and embedded through the Community Shares Standard Mark.
- We act as a development funder and institutional investor in innovative community share offers through our Community Shares Booster Programme.
- We train, license and unite a network of consultant practitioners through our Community Shares Practitioner Training Programme.
- We are the main source of market intelligence on community shares, through extensive data collection and detailed market reports.