Andy Burnham, Mayor of Greater Manchester, joins speakers from leading UK worker co-op Suma and retail giant The Co-op, alongside inspiring community-owned businesses at this year’s Co-op Congress in Manchester on 21-22 June.
With a theme of ‘Building Co-operative Places’ the line-up of speakers includes:
- ANDY BURNHAM, Mayor of Greater Manchester
- CLAIRE MCCARTHY, General Secretary of The Co-op Party
- PAUL GERRARD, Director of Campaigns and HELEN CARROLL, Director of Brand from The Co-op
- JENNY CARLYLE, worker-owner of multi-million pound worker co-op Suma and speakers from employee owned businesses Outlandish and Cornerstone Inns
- TONY ARMSTRONG, CEO of Locality, JAMES ALCOCK, Executive Director of Plunkett Foundation and KEELY LEAD from the Employee Ownership Association
- TREBOR SCHOLZ, Associate Professor at The New School in New York City providing a global perspective on platform co-ops
- STEVE GATENBY, Head of Product at Co-op Ventures
- PAUL KALINAUCKAS, Chair of Responsible Finance and ROBERT KELLY from ABCUL
- Speakers from community anchor organisations in Hartlepool and Plymouth
- Inspiring speakers from community-owned organisations Leeds Community Homes and Projekts MCR
And many more – view the full programme.
“Inspired by Andy Burnham’s vision to make Greater Manchester the most co-operative place in the UK, this year’s Congress explores co-ops’ impact on places. Speakers provide a global perspective, outline the challenges of operating in an uncertain economic and political climate in the UK, and provide best practice co-operative solutions at regional, local and community level." Ed Mayo, Secretary General, Co-operatives UK
Supported this year by The Co-operative Bank, Co-op Congress is the flagship conference for the co-operative sector. It takes place on 21-22 June with workshops, networking sessions and Co-operatives UK and Co-operative College AGMs taking place on Friday. A full programme of panel discussions, debates and surgeries is on the Saturday.
“We are delighted to support Co-op Congress 2019 and to celebrate our most innovative and successful co-ops through the Co-operative of the Year Awards, having partnered with Co-operative UK’s business support programme The Hive since 2016. We are looking forward to this year’s Congress, which promises to be both informative and inspirational."
Andrew Bester, Chief Executive of The Co-operative Bank
The Co-operative of the Year Awards winners will be announced on the Friday evening. The shortlisted co-ops and individuals in each category will be revealed on Tuesday 7 May, with public voting taking place until 13 June.
An early bird Congress tickets rate for Co-operatives UK members is available until 23:59 on 30 April at the discounted rate of £130 + VAT (usually £175 + VAT).
The Co-operative of the Year Awards and Co-op Congress are sponsored by The Co‑operative Bank.