About Empowering Places
Empowering Places is a programme which demonstrates the role that concentrated clusters of community businesses can play in creating better places and reducing inequality in local areas. Funded by Power to Change, the programme is delivered by Co-operatives UK in partnership with CLES and NEF.
Changing lives for the better
Community businesses – owned and run by local communities themselves – have been bubbling up in neighbourhoods across the country over the last decade. People are coming together to save local pubs, to revitalise local assets and spaces, to give people back control over their housing or their work. Community spirit and action is building. It is impacting on people's lives and keeping wealth local.
Empowering Places is taking that community participation and impact to the next level. An £8 million programme, it is focused on six local areas and established community organisations in each. These are provided with a mix of grants, support and practical tools they need to be catalysts for new networks of community businesses in their areas.
The theory is great, but the impact of this programme is best told by the people themselves...
There are six participating ‘catalyst’ areas and organisations selected by Power to Change:
- Bradford (Manningham) with Made in Manningham
- Grimsby (Southward, Nunsthorpe and Bradley Park) with Centre 4
- Hartlepool (Dyke House) with Wharton Trust
- Leicester (Braunstone) with B-Inspired
- Wigan (Abram) with Abram Ward Community Co-operative
- Plymouth (Devonport and Stonehouse) with the Real Ideas Organisation (RIO), and Plymouth Social Enterprise Network and Millfields Trust as delivery partners