The Co-operative Governance Expert Reference Panel was set up in response to our members identifying a need for an independent and authoritative voice in the co-op sector for best practice in governance.
What is the Panel?
- Led and facilitated by Co‑operatives UK and made up of experts with proven experience in governance leadership and/or innovation covering businesses of different size, complexity and risk profile.
- Ensures a dialogue between UK leaders in the field of governance by bringing experts together to identify and recommend innovation and best practice.
- Provides leadership to the co-operative sector by setting governance standards for co-operatives, encouraging innovation, active challenge and debate.
- Sets a framework that enables the co-operative sector to take ownership of its compliance with governance standards.
How will the Panel benefit my co-op?
The Panel is intended to be an independent and authoritative voice on governance for the co-op sector and will respond to input from the co-op sector. To date it has created a number of resources and guides on good governance, situated on The Hive – a website and support programme for co-ops delivered by Co-operatives UK in partnership with The Co-operative Bank:
- The ‘Elements of Governance' Wheel: Depicting the areas of governance that should be in place within a thriving co-operative business.
- Directors Toolkit: A comprehensive series of resources for inducting directors onto a co-operative board.
- Make up of the board: A short film and guidance notes to help co-ops consider the different routes open to them when recruiting directors to a board. View resources.
- Board behaviours in co-operatives: A practical guide to help your co-op understand boardroom behaviours and access five top tips for working with your board to improve its dynamic. View resource.
- A statement on the Role of the Board: Produced to fill the gap for a clear, authoritative and concise statement about the Board’s role in a co-operative.
View these resources and more over on The Hive.
Who is on the Panel?
The Co-operative Governance Expert Reference Panel is:
- Nick Money (Chair), Nick Money Ltd
- Edward Parker, Midcounties Co-operative
- Jane Powell, Lincolnshire Co-operative
- Angela Lomax, David Tolson Partnership
- Ross Hodgson, Suma Wholefoods
- Emma Laycock, Co-operatives UK
- Mark Simmonds, Co-op Culture
David Alcock, Anthony Collins Solicitors