The government is refreshing its strategy for social enterprise. We have worked with the Social Enterprise Coalition to draw up our priorities for how government can support a stronger social enterprise sector. Key points include:
- looking beyond public services to building an enabling environment for social enterprises, only 40% of which deliver a public service;
- opening up new markets;
- increasing awareness and understanding, as only one-in-five people can name a co-operative and over two-fifths cannot think of any;
- incentives to start and invest in social enterprise, such as adjusting Community Investment Tax Relief, better promotion of Enterprise Investment Scheme and support for community investment;
- the need to build a consensus on approaches to measuring impact and better awareness amongst those we are measuring for; and,
- the importance of timely and appropriate business support.
Download the full submission below.