You are here
Co-operatives offer an alternative business model, a fair business model that puts control of the business in the hands of those with a direct relationship with the co-operative. In a fair society, good corporate governance practices are key for a co-operative to report back to its membership.
As a co-operative we are committed to the co-operative values and principles and measure our success by our member’s involvement in our governance. We also support our members to achieve the highest standards set out in our Co-operative Codes of Governance for consumer societies and worker co-operatives.
Co-operatives UK believes that together, co-operatives can make a fair society. We bring together individual co-operatives and 16 federal members from all sections of the co-operative sector in an Industrial and Provident Society first established in 1869.
Board of Directors
The Board of Co-operatives UK sets our overall strategic direction, and is drawn from the membership to be representative of the different types of co-operative business in membership. The Board is is collectively responsible for the success of Co-operatives UK, providing direction and guidance to the organisation's Senior Management Team.
Find find out more about elections and standing for our Board of Directors.
Other ways of getting involved
To ensure that Co-operatives UK represents the views of the whole co-operative sector, we organise a number of other groups to maintain contact with our membership. These bodies represent sections of the co-operative economy that you may be able to get involved with.
- The Worker Co-operative Council acts as a sounding board for worker co-operative and employee-owned members of Co-operatives UK of whom two are elected to the main Board.
- The Co-operatives UK Forum acts as a sounding board for federal members and a place for them to network with others across the movement.
- Co-operatives UK has a number of area based Sectional Councils for consumer co-operatives to network and share best practice.
- The Co-operatives UK Annual General Meeting takes place every year and members are encouraged to take part.
- Co-operatives UK works with Regional Co-operative Council partners in the regions and devolved nations of the UK.
You can also have your say through ongoing member feedback such as our online member discussion group, regular member surveys or by contacting us.